Wednesday, May 31, 2006

THE SHELL GAME OF TAX MANIPULATION IN MACON

Our County Commissioners and our City Council members are sitting back in silence, as taxpayers are stunned by the blatant misrepresentation of these leaders that urged their constituents to vote for two back to back SPLOSTS. I warned many people that this was what would happen, and questioned the reasoning of why anyone would vote for a tax increase. I have people call my office to see if they can save $10 on their tax return, by maybe giving another deduction or two. Now don't get me wrong, I work hard to get every deduction for clients. But it blew my mind when otherwise intelligent people said "I'm voting for the SPLOST because it is the fairest tax....it is time other people paid their fair share...", which was parroting back what Chairman Bishop, et al were busy sharing with people at every organization where a group could be gathered. No one would listen to me. People that seek my advice for tax preparation turned a deaf ear to what I tried to tell them. I told these clients that property reassessments were forthcoming, and that they would get hit with high property taxes. You know PT Barnum was right when he said, "there is a sucker born every minute." I said it before, and I will say it again that the media was instrumental in serving the SPLOSTs on a silver platter. I hold these journalists responsible for much of the financial mess that Macon and Bibb County is in because they are derelict in their duty to adequately inform the public about the downside of increasing taxes.

No comments: