Sunday, August 28, 2005

"POLITICS, POOLE STYLE"

There are some that get the Macon Telegraph for the comics, there are some that subscribe to it for the news (cough, cough, cough), there are some that have bird cages to line, and my family subscribes to the Macon Telegraph because there are a few talented journalists employed there. Competition would be the best thing that could happen, but it is doubtful that we wll ever see a new newspaper in Macon. Thank goodness that we can now converse on the Internet and for those that want to learn more about the world that we live in, knowledge is only a search and keystroke away. I do not wish to offend anyone that I come in contact with. For those that know me, they know that they never have to worry about me talking bad about them behind their backs because if I have a problem with anyone they hear it face to face. If we were all plain spoken, and respectful of one another's rights, would this not be the grandest place to live? We live in a World where editorial boards are not fair and balanced, as evident in my race for a public office. Mr. Richardson did not know me at all, and he did not care to know me. Who are these people that want to be the judge and jury for citizens and attemt to deny voters of their rights to freely choose a candidate for office? The last time I read the Constitution, I did not see an Article that gave the Press anything other than a First Amendment Right, but that does not mean that they have the right to infringe upon mine and yours rights when partaking of their rights.


In the Macon Telegraph today, columnist Charles E. Richardson, again tries to cover up his prejudices by digging himself a bigger hole that he cannot seem to get out of. I decided to run for Bibb County Commissioner District 2 just one day before the qualification ended in 2004. I am Linda J. Poole, a South Bibb CPA, and a conservative that was called by Debra Lyons and Charles Bishop to ask if I was interested in running as a Republican candidate in this particular district.

I made the decision very quickly to say the least, and paid my qualifying fees the next day to run for office! As a CPA, I was disgusted with the mishandling of taxpayers' money by our City and County. I sure did not know what I was getting myself involved in, but it was a rude awakening to say the least.

When I went before the Editorial Board of the Macon Telegraph, I was sitting at a table at first with Ms. Stinson, Editor and Mr. Richardson. I could tell right away that Mr. Richardson could care less about why I was running, what my educational background was or any thing at all because he was not taking one single note! I started talking about my degrees, my business and the fact that I teach CPA review courses that involve some governmental classes.

Only when, I realized that Mr. Richardson could care less about my qualifications, did I say anything about race issues in Macon, Georgia. I said that I was wasting my time because I knew that Bert Bivins, III would get the Telegraph's endorsement because he was the black Democrat candidate. Mr. Richardson answered that, Mr. Bivins would get the endorsement because I had not attended any County Commission meetings. I then got angry and pointed out that I do not get paid to attend Commission meetings, and that Mr. Bivins has been in the position for over nine years and in the previous year missed over 20% of the meetings! When Mr. Richardson said "we are aware that Mr. Bivins misses...these meetings" that is when the fireworks began.

I brought the City into the interview at this time, and said that Ms. Ponder, President of Macon City Council, had been quoted as saying "white people had better get used to it because it is white money and black power running Macon now." This is not exactly a proper thing for the sitting Council President to say, and I let it be known in no uncertain terms. I talked about Affirmative Action in jobs, and said that I had been denied jobs not because of not being the most qualified candidate but because of Affirmative Action that will place a less qualified candidate in a position because of quotas. I said that I never dreamed that I would see Affirmative Action in Politics!

Needless to say, I did bolt out of the meeting, and anyone would do the same unless they are just too darn pc to stand up and be proud to be white. I am not a person that picks a fight, but I am not going to be a door mat for anyone. I have never felt so discriminated against in my life than the day that I was interviewed by Mr. Richardson, and I am speaking that from the heart. I actually believed that in light of the City's financial woes, that I would embraced as a CPA stepping up to the plate to run for office. And in fairness to Mr. Richardson, Randall Savage, et al, from WMAZ was just as biased against me and all of the Republican candidates for that matter. Where I perceived racial prejudice from Charles Richardson, I, likewise, perceived liberal bias from Randall Savage. The media does not need to be in the business of endorsing political candidates at all!

As long, as we have black leaders in the City that align themselves with the NAACP and march along side Jesse Jackson then we are never going to move forward. You see, it is people like Charles E. Richardson, et al that are living in the 20th Century and continuing to fight in a Civil Rights Movement. I am living in the 21st Century, and just wondering if the blacks will ever be satisfied to have equal rights and not strive to play a game of winner take all. And again, I remember well when Vice President Cheney visited Macon that WMAZ could not cover him for over a couple of minutes! So the point of this post is to point out why the media should not be in the business of endorsing political candidates, and hopefully the message is conveyed that Macon has a problem with race issues, and a problem with political division.

This is a copy of my letter to Viewpoints on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 that followed a column written on Tuesday August 23, 2005 by Mr. Richardson:

Needed, new editorial board
I am sick and tired of columnist Charles E. Richardson's slanderous remarks against me. I am a citizen in Bibb County and work hard to run my business. He needs to look in the mirror to see one of the biggest racists in this county. I brought qualifications to the county to run for a a Bibb County Commission post, and because of racism Mr. Richardson could not look beyond color to assess my qualifications.
Yes, I got angry and left a meeting with the editorial board of The Telegraph, and I would do it again. I should have never wasted my time talking to such a liberal and biased group of people when running for office. The Telegraph is part of the problem with race relations in this community, definitely not the solution.
I ran in a district that is 65 percent black, and demographics are a determining factor for the person who gets elected in this county. Rick Hutto asserted that on talk radio the other day when ask if he would run for mayor, he replied that he could not win because of demographics.
Chairman Bishop won his race not because he is a Republican, but because of his race.
Did Linda Poole create this problem in Bibb County? No, I did not, as this county has a disease of racism that has plagued it for years. People like Charles Richardson have helped add fuel to the fire.
I say that instead of Macon needing "a few good politicians" that Macon needs a new newspaper to replace The Telegraph with a new and vibrant editorial board.
Linda J. Poole Macon


The following is a link to Mr. Richardson's column:

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/columnists/charles_e_richardson/12487570.htm

No comments: