Sunday, July 30, 2006
A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS OR IS IT?
"Necessary Evil" was designated as one of the 7 planes taking part in the Hiroshima mission. Its role was to carry the scientific observer team and photographic equipment and was one of the three B29s of the primary strike force. Piloted by George Marquardt, it departed Tinian Island at approximately 2:50 on the morning of August 6, 1945.