Sunday, September 11, 2005

HIGH SPEED TRAIN FROM MACON TO ATLANTA













It makes no difference to political leaders that are inept when it comes to economics, that Amtrak cannot pay for itself in New York City and Washington D.C. with the thousands and thousands of riders that it accomadates. If a rail system is built here in Middle Georgia, it will be a financial drain for years to come on the economy. But one bright spot, if it is true that we will soon be down to one elementary school, one middle school and one high school with the "no child left behind act ", as reported by WMCC News at Blogspot, we could use a high speed rail to transport our school children to schools out of Bibb County to Atlanta when the remaining three schools fail, too. I am sure this would have Cobb County and Dekalk County residents thrilled.

2 comments:

KAT said...

BB:
PLEASE talk me out of voting for the ELOST. I heard some convincing arguments that this is the only shot we have for fixing badly outdated facilities. Still I wonder if Southwest, which dates back to Billy Henderson and Margaret Hull, can't be ripped to the bricks and renovated. Maybe the Bulldozer Boogie is cheaper.

Oh and I'm waiting for everyone to tell me their school board horror stories. I mean this in EARNEST and am not being snide. I don't want to blame the BOE for what is the fault of lazy sorry trashy parents, especially if the BOE has managed to get its butt in gear.

I have no kids and went to a private school. Some think I am a traitor to the community for going to a private facility; BLEEP them.
KAT

BEEBEE said...

Dear Kat,

This is not the right time to raise taxes period. What people do not understand is that we do not have people that have business plan knowledge sitting on the BOE. We have people that are directed by people that want redistribution of wealth (out of your pocket and mine) to build, build and build some more. It does not matter if the contracts are inflated, just pay whatever is billed. It keeps the movers and shakers employed with their construction companies, etc... A perfect example is the Hutchings Career Center, do you remember the ridiculous cost? We can make do, and focus on educating the students. We cannot as residents of Bibb County afford more taxes. Higher taxes creates inflation. I do not trust any of these people on the BOE with oversight of tax dollars nor do I trust any elected official with tax dollars. Again, as an accountant I would never support a tax increase. If you cannot build it with the current tax structure then you need to wait until you have the funds. There is so much pork in the BOE proposal, and I can say that because that is how all government tax increase propositions work.