Thursday, September 15, 2005

MY RUN IN WITH FREE SPEECH ROAD BLOCKS

IT IS TIME TO GET OUT OF OUR SLUMBER, AND OUR LOVE OF MATERIAL GOODS! FREEDOM IS CHALLENGED DAILY! TODAY IT IS THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE AND ONE MAN'S EGO THAT IS HELPING TO DESTROY OUR HERITAGE. AN ATHEIST CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO REMOVE "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" FROM OUR PLEDGE!

When I was out campaigning against the Bibb County SPLOST election held on June 21, 2005, there were some that were downright rude to me when I tried to hand them a simple handout about why raising taxes is not economically sound. Most people were very friendly to me, though. One manager in a North Macon business put my handout on his bulletin board for all to see, and about four businesses allowed me to put the literature on their counters. But and this is a big but, one customer at a local store told me on the very election day, "you are not allowed to campaign against the SPLOST today because it is the day of the election." As, I always do, I proceeded to talk to her as a teacher, which by the way that is my part-time job, that I am not allowed to campaign within a certain distance of polling places. But this lady was no doubt employed by some government entitiy, and she did not want to listen to me when she was told that she was incorrect.

Then, I had an assistant manager of a store come out and tell me that I was on private property, and I would have to leave. I will not say the name of the store for what I am going to write next, but I happened to know this person and know that he/she was a homosexual. So, I shocked this person by telling him/her that I was being denied my free speech to spread the word to people that higher taxes means less money to use for goods that her/his store sells. I ask what will you say about free speech when an election takes place that could destroy your rights to live as you do, and I will not elaborate any further but you can fill in the blanks. As usual, I got a look of shock, and I turned around and walked away.

Yesterday, during the confirmation hearings for Judge Roberts to the United States Supreme Court, one of Judicial Committee Members (I believe a Republican from South Dakota) talked about this very thing. This senator was talking about how the public square is shrinking daily, and about how there is no longer a place that citizens can go to hand out literature about amendment proposals on ballots. There is no longer the court house square of the small society where the public gathers on public property to discuss political issues, and private property owners will not allow the distribution of literature was the comments by this senator (not verbatum).

Folks, we can change this but it takes an organized effort. We need to elect representatives to state and federal government that will open the government to the people again. Citizens are shut out of government that is supposed to be the people's government. We have been on a march for righteousness, and been duped into believing that the real issues are pro-life vs pro-choice and whether or not gays should be allowed to be married. Yes, these are very important issues, but what demands greater attention is our right to free speech, which is the First Amendment and laws that do not allow sales tax proposal elections to be held where low voter turnout directly correlates with the passage of the law and allows Citizens to be taxed even more. We have got to wake up and band together. I cannot do this alone, and this message is for my friends and relatives in Georgia, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Guam, and other states. Spread this blog address to your acquaintances, and create your own blogs! Write to your elected officials or better yet, recruit people to run for office and offer them financial support for advertisement. We have got to restore liberty to our great country!

2 comments:

BEEBEE said...

I selected the "tic tac" format from Blogspot (in reference to "raw food diet dude."

KAT said...

LJP
Sad to say but it is true that you cannot campaign within x feet of a polling place. Only Jack Ellis can get away with it (see last election). As for private property owners that sadly is their right. I just wish some of them would be nice enough to let you hand out bills. Constitutionally they can ban you from the property if you are handing out any kind of literature.

Downtown might be better.
KAT